Get Fit Outdoors | The Health Benefits of Wakeboarding
Getting exercise outdoors is great for both your physical and mental health. One of our favourite outdoor sports - wakeboarding - poses many health benefits. So (as) if you need an excuse to dust off your board and hit the water, enjoy our round up of Wakeboarding Health Benefits.
Health Benefits of Wakeboarding
- There is no denying wakeboarding is great fun, but it also requires a surprising amount of strength and is an awesome form of exercise. Wakeboarding is a great way of keeping the body and mind healthy and fit.
- Jumps and turns while wakeboarding will require hand and foot flexibility to avoid injury. As a result, wakeboarders develop improved flexibility. Agility and being nimble on your feet will carry over to everyday activities.
- When wakeboarding you have to flex, resist and hold positions for long periods at a time. Subsequently, you'll build strength in your arm and leg muscles. As you progress you'll learn to build on and move from these held positions to execute tricks.
- Wakeboarding will improve your swimming skills. Don't be disllusioned, you will end up falling into the water more than once! As a results, you'll need to be a strong swimmer.
- Balance and stability are the foundations for wakeboarding. So like kitesurfing & paddleboarding, core strength is a key component to the sport. You'll also develop great hand-eye coordination as many of the tricks require fast hand switches, rotations and jumps.
- Wakeboarding is great for your mental health! It helps to improve mental concentration and refreshes the mind. The adrenaline is enough to take your mind off daily stresses while the physical activity of time spent on the water releases feel-good endorphins.
- It's a great outdoor workout. A 2011 study found that outdoor exercise was associated with greater decreases in tension, confusion, anger and depression when compared to indoor activity.
- When wakeboarding there can be sudden changes of direction and position required. Therefore as a wakeboarder, you'll develop improved reaction times and versatility to adapt to differences in the water, direction, wind etc.
- It encourages you to get social! Wakeboarding with family and friends is a great way of spending time together. It's also a great way to meet and make new friends who enjoy like minded hobbies.
Don't forget that the Element Changing Poncho is the perfect pairing for your next wakeboard adventure. Not only can you change into your wetsuit beneath it but it will help to keep the chill off while you wait between sessions!